Wednesday, November 05, 2008

US Election

Below is written by a friend of mine, and since it pretty much is how I feel for the most part, I won't even try to write something that might sounded remotely as intelligent as his, and just copy his words

"I'll even go ahead and say that it's a good thing that the next President of the US is half-black. It's not that I wanted him to win simply because of the colour of his skin, but it's a good symbol that a mixed race person was able to win the highest position in government. And given the poor treatment of blacks throughout a large portion of US history, I'm going to go ahead and call it a win.

In all likelihood, by the end of Obama's term(s), he will be considered the most charismatic president in at least a half-century. I actually have mixed feelings about this. To be sure, Obama is great at giving speeches and is very good at making people feel good and happy. But this actually scares me a little. Most of the worst politicians and figures in history have been charismatic individuals. I fear charismatic politicians. When it comes to a position of power, I'd much rather have a guy with just so-so charisma; someone that people like but aren't entranced by. Obama creates this wave of excitement and fervor everywhere he goes. It's probably just me, but I'm genuinely scared when I see massive, massive throngs of people gathering to hail any one man as the messiah and saviour and the great bringer of change and bearer of hope. People have always showed up to political rallies to support and cheer for their candidate, but Obama supporters seemed particularly fervent. And today, when his win was made official, people were so fucking happy. There's this great sense of pride among Americans that they elected Obama. And all of that is scary to me. Because at the end of the day, he's still a politician. He and his ilk are still going to take away liberties, still spend other peoples' money, and still make up laws to benefit some at the expense of others. He will say things he doesn't believe or are grounded in fallacy, and he will say them with a straight face because they are the popular things to say. He will do these things because he is a politician, and that's what politicians do."

-Terrence

No comments: