Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Change of Plans

Life, is like baseball.
Life throws you a fastball, you swing, but you can't catch up to it cuz it was too fast.
Life throws you a curveball, you swing, but you were thought the pitch was going to be straight, but it wasn't.
Life throws you a change-up, you swing, but you were too early cuz you thought it was going to be a fastball.
Life throws you a slider, you swing, but you just couldn't reach it.
Life throws you a knuckleball, you swing, but you didn't think the ball would be out of control due to the wind.
Life throws you a gyroball and an oky-doky, you swing, but you didn't know you were up against Boston's Dice-K and Okajima.


Stolen from a certain person's blog.

Anyways, reason for this blog, is because of something really unexpected, yet not necessarily a bad opportunity came up recently. As a avid sports fanatic, its pretty much a dream for me to one day be working within a professional sports organization. However, it is also a very small industry, and also very hard to get in. My whole plan was to graduate with my Economics degree with Human Resources Management as my specialization, continue on and get a job while completing my Canadian Human Resources Professional designation, and see where it leads me. However, I've been approached with an opportunity to "kick off" my sports management "career" through the Department of Athletics and Recreational Services at the University of Waterloo. No, its not some big deal with Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment, but its a start somewhere. This is not a co-op job, but rather just a job placement for a term. Which means - I won't graduate on schedule like I plan to, but this is also a great opportunity for me to get started within the sports management industry, gaining valuable experience for the future.

Nothing is really set in stone yet as I haven't been offered the job, but I am pretty confident that my involvement with the Department of Athletics will have be ranked pretty high as a candidate - I guess we'll wait and see.


On another note - Chicago in 3 days!

No comments: