Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Variance

It feels like crap to run this bad. So I've had some Frequent Player Points (FPP) saved up from Poker Stars for awhile, and I decided to play some of their steps tournament which could turn into an EPT trip. It was running good for awhile as I started maybe 10 step 1s, and have built it up to 3 step 4s, 2 step 3s and 1 step 2s. (To advance from one step to the next, you must finish in the top 2 from a 9 player tournament). And then the doom switch was pushed. I have never, I mean never, ran this bad before. This is not just AK vs. A3 where the guy hits a 3, or top pair against a flush draw because those I can deal with, but these are KK vs. AA, QQ vs. KK, or the odd time when I have KK vs. 99, or AA vs 1010, they manage to hit one of their two cards by the end. It has been sickening. So I have lost all of my tournament tickets, and I will again, be taking some time off (seems like I say that alot). It feels like I have "spurts" where I play alot (compared to others, its like nothing - but in any case), which usually takes place for 2 weeks or so, and then I take "breaks" of anywhere from 2 days to 2 months. I really do not have the desire to grind low limit cash game anymore. It doesn't feel as fun as it used to be, and tournaments/SnGs have such incredibly high variance, so I just play whenever I feel like it. It is still a very fun, and sometime profitable game/hobby, but my motivation to put in the hours and hands is simply not where it was a year ago today.

No comments: